Thursday 23 June 2011

A beginner shoots a gig – Part 1 before


chris 001
Originally uploaded by Rob Johnstone
I class myself as a beginner. My work is still inconsistent, I am only shooting local gigs, and compared to the superb work of many of the contacts I have made on Flickr, I have a long way to go.

Tonight’s venue is my usual haunt, The Horn in St. Albans. This evening is the final of their twice yearly Battle of the Bands competition. St. Albans has spawned some breaking bands over the past few years, and this competition has seen winners like Enter Shikari (Spelling?!?), The Subways and Friendly Fires. I cut my teeth shooting what turned out to be the winners of the previous BOTB, namely Waiting for Katherine.

I have seen a couple of the finalists, Billy Skins Fifth, and Evergreen. Both of these are strong acts. The other two I haven’t had the pleasure.

My kit tonight will be my trusty Canon 400D and 17-55mm. I might take my flash along in case I stay to see they winners receive their prizes, but it’s a late one, and I have work in the morning. Modus operandi will be to shoot on ISO 1600 , f2.8, and probably be lazy and stick to AF. The lens is way quicker than I am, and it can nearly see in the dark. I have trouble in full daylight. If you want to check out my previous efforts they can all be found on my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/axemanrj I welcome comments, advice, etc.

I will post the results there tomorrow hopefully, and write part 2 of this blog entry.

Wish me luck

No comments: