Thursday 15 May 2014

Reflections on the 365 project so far

134 of 365

When I started this 365 project I was sceptical of these merits of this type of undertaking.  Much criticised for stifling creativity, I do believe I have picked up, or perhaps strengthened some of the photography skills and knowledge I have picked up a long the way.  Although I never really planned it to be a self portrait project, it quickly took on that mantel.  I had planned recently to take a month off from my face to photograph a month of non-me people.  Somewhere in my subconscious my ego has prevented me from doing.  "No, it's mine, all MINE!" I can almost hear my Id screaming.  So the self portraits continue. 

One thing shocked me recently, and that was that I was missing two days, numbers 54 and 74 for those who might be counting.  Some entries I have made private as they are not conducive to either maintaining a dignified social standing (I fell into this dress honest constable), or might have reflected badly if my employers saw them in a public forum (you mean there's something wrong being naked in chains with an apple wedged in my mouth?), however the missing photos are genuinely missing.  I thought I'd been so careful with my numbering too.  For the record today should be day 135, so I need to do one tonight.

56 of 365 The Kruegers106 of 365113 of 365 Ever wake up with that Starwars feeling?120 of 365
Another thing I have become aware of is balance.  I go though cycles of being straight, and boring only to swing to wacky, and way-out.  Sometimes I try to create a narrative, other times my image may be, just because.  It has helped to adopt sub-project, for example the popular Face down Tuesday, or my Vinyl Countdown, which spoof, or rather pays homage to albums in my record collection.

83 of 365 Its The Vinyl Countdown - No 1099 of 365  Its the Vinyl countdown - No 9109 of 365 Its the Vinyl Countdown - No 8

How successful I am being in creating entertaining images is difficult to judge. I post most of the pictures in Flickr, which gives me statistics on how many times my images are viewed, however there is seldom feedback from those viewers with the exception of the very occasional Fave.  Unfortunately I think to receive adulation one has to actively seek adulation, and of course have some talent to back it up.
I'm over a third of the way through, and although I do enjoy it, I will be glad when this project is finished.  I will come out of the other end with a great deal more experience with lighting, composing, retouching, etc which I will turn to good use in other areas of my photography.  In the mean time I will continue to paint my face, play with props, take my tripod with me everywhere, and generally try to have fun.

103 of 365 Still fighting

Blogger Labels: photography,skills,knowledge,Although,self,portrait,Somewhere,MINE,portraits,Some,constable,employers,forum,photos,Another,Sometimes,narrative,example,Face,Vinyl,Countdown,homage,albums,collection,Flickr,statistics,feedback,viewers,exception,Fave,adulation,talent,areas,tripod,month

No comments: