Sunday 17 July 2016

Experimental Light Modifier

If like me you have only a small permanent space for studio work, and budget (aka cheap second hand tat) lighting you will know that it can be difficult to control light.  I have only a soft box, and a few brollies to use.  Rather than get all 'woe is me' about it, I occasionally have a go at DIY solutions.  You may have seem my Pot Noodle snoots.  Today I decided to have a go at some micro soft boxes with the view to using them to light a background whilst reducing the spill onto the subject.  The results aren't brilliant, but I had a go.  This is how I did it.




1) Gather the bits
We have a cheap storage basket, some reflective foil, the sort you shove behind radiators to safe energy, a white sheet, some clothes pegs, duct tape, and electrical insulation tape. The tools I used were scissors, a Dremmel, and a sharpie.








2)











 First I used my light as a template, then cut out a hole with the Dremmel (wear goggles, and cut the hole outside kids)









3)
Use the basket to mark out the fold on the back of the foily stuff.  Cut off the corners




4)
Check the foil fits properlyish.  You can score, or fold this stuff which helps.







5)

Use the Duct tape to join the edges of the foil, then shove it in the basket.







6)
  Tape the excess foil over the side of the basket to hold it in place








7)
Carefully cut out a hole for the light to poke through.  Leave some excess to fold over and tape to the back.  This helps hold the whole contraction to the light without having to use tape on that too.






8) 
This is what it looks like in situ.








9)
I added some of the cotton sheet to soften the light a little





No comments: